Sunday, August 20, 2006

I Love It When a Plan Comes Together (August 20th, 2006)

I've been hesitant to slam my lodge-mates too much here, in the off chance that one of them may somehow stumble across this site. But occasionally I need to vent. :) There are two English girls in our lodge that everyone has described as "pure" or "sweet" but what I think they really mean is "air headed." Last night one of them was staring at an inflatable gym ball and asked Andy (the owner) how he was going to carry it on the plane with him. He responded, "Well I'm going to let the air out and fold it up." She was amazed and noted that the inventors must have been really smart guys. The other one was extremely upset while we watched Kindergarten Cop (yeah, I actually watched half of it too) because the father of the main boy was so mean. "How can such a nice kid have such a jerk for a father!" she yelled. She almost had to leave because she couldn't take it.

However, sometimes air headedness can be a good thing. Tonight we were celebrating Andy's 24th birthday. Two good things happened. First, we made fajitas! I have been absolutely craving Mexican food since arriving in New Zealand. There's just one Mexican place in Queenstown and for the life of me I can't figure out what hours they're actually opened. I've been there twice during prime dinner hours; they've been closed both times.

Anyway, on to the second good thing that happened. One of the girls bought some balloons for the party, but wanting to save 30 cents she bought water balloons. She didn't realize that you can't actually blow water balloons up with air. Not wanting to waste them, she filled up 40 or so water balloons with water and spread them over the tables. Obviously this isn't a great idea, especially after dinner when everyone has had a couple of birthday drinks.

Things degenerated quickly after the cake and ice cream was cleaned up. One balloon sprung a leak, and Andy used it to spray anyone near him. That, of course, inevitably led to a full scale water balloon fight, in our common room. 8 people lobbing balloons around can cause a mess in a hurry. We only lasted about 5 minutes, but the entire place is wet right now. I can't wait to see what the housekeeper says when she strolls through tomorrow...

(And those curious about the title, it's Hannibal's signature quote from The A-Team. Surprisingly, we've watched both seasons 1 and season 2 of the A-Team, which is something I never thought I'd say I've done.)

No comments: