Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Moon Rising (August 8th, 2006)






It's been somewhat overcast the last two days, but on my way down to the gym today things suddenly cleared up revealing a nearly full moon hanging over the Remarkables. I hot-footed it back to to my room to pick up my camera and spent the next hour wandering around town, looking for a perfect vantage point. I discovered a few new corners in Queenstown, including a surprisingly old and somewhat creepy cemetery. It's situated on top of a hill overlooking Queenstown though, so that's where I set up shop (and it also explains the foreground scenery in a couple of the pictures).

As I'm sure I mentioned a couple of times, things are different down here. The moon has been camped out over the Remarkables for the last week, day and night. I'm looking out my window right now and it's beautiful at night too; it lights up the entire countryside. I tried taking a couple of pictures at night, but I don't don't have the camera manual on me and I can't figure out how to play with the aperture time setting.

It's been challenging finding good photo opportunities. The first couple of days here I was a photographic madman, it's just so stunning with the snow-covered peaks surrounding town. Reviewing them on my laptop I got bored looking at endless pictures of snowcapped mountains. Sure each picture is gorgeous, but they're all pretty much the same. I deleted most of the pictures and vowed to only shoot unique situations, which is why I was so excited to see the moon out today.

I'm also only taking my camera up to the slopes with me if I'm not training. Of course, this means that every day I have my camera nothing exciting happens, but when I don't have it we're treated to all sorts of crazy cloud formations and sun rises. Hopefully be able to capture it all in six weeks.

No comments: