Monday, August 07, 2006

Snow! (August 7th, 2006)







I know that picture doesn't look like much, but today was fog-soaked, snow-filled day on the slopes. That big thing in back left is the main chair lift, visibility maxed out at about 50 feet (it was closer to 15 feet for most of the day). But it was smiles all around because this is the first time we've had real snow in over three weeks (the snow machines don't count). There were 5cm by 9:00am this morning and it kept coming down all day long.

It looks like we're getting a repeat performance tomorrow, which is both good and bad news. It's good, of course, because we can need all the snow we can get. However, tomorrow is the first day of our first exam (the CSI: Certificate of Snowsports Instruction), good weather would be nice.

As I mentioned before our trainers have spent a lot of time breaking down our snowboarding style, trying getting us to ride "correctly." Obviously there's no correct way to ride, but some ways are more efficient than others. Since we're supposed to be teaching the new efficient style, I suppose we should ride that way as well.

We've been videotaped twice now, on the first and last day of training. It's amazing how much our style has changed in four days and we're starting to look like we know what were doing on the mounatin. Watching my second taping yesterday I certainly looked better, but now that I know what I'm supposed to be doing I can see so many faults and bad habits I still have. We've still got five weeks to get into perfect shape, I hope the changes I've made so far will get me through the next four days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Colin,

Your dad passed along your blog site and we have been enjoying it, although I doubt I will ever be up on a snowboard at my age. I hope to get down there some day to try the fishing. It is supposed to be spectacular. If youget a chance ask a local about the trout fishing. Stay upright.

Chris Wall