Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Back Off!







For those who aren't familiar the picture above is of the Rabbit. A 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit, my family is its first and only owner. It was first passed down to me and now is my sister's primary mode of transportation. It has run into a few (well many) problems over the years (most notable being that it's not exactly waterproof anymore -- not good for a car in Seattle). But under the hood it has a strong will to live.

The last few years the rabbit has been blessed with two signature traits (well three if you count the ever-present scent inside the car -- a curious combination of rust, mold, and something else I can't place my finger on). First, when you start the car it emits a huge cloud of blueish gray smoke. This cloud is a bold signal to everyone in the parking lot (as well as to the poor pedestrians blocks in all directions who get to smell the noxious fumes) that this vehicle is no longer stationary. Second is the license plate holder on the back which proudly proclaims, "If you can't run with the big dogs, STAY ON THE PORCH!" I don't know what's more embarrassing: being driven around by my younger sister in that thing, or the thought that my mom used to drive to IBM in it. You know, where her coworkers saw her.

Anyway, this Christmas I felt it was time for an upgrade, so I ordered a pair of Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mud flaps. The purchase was mostly as a joke, but now that I've seen them on I think it's a perfect fit. The picture above shows all three signature traits in perfect harmony: the license plate cover, which is clouded by the toxic cloud of doom and the new applied mud flaps. My sister must be so happy.

No comments: