Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'm an Idiot





Today was supposed to be the perfect day. I had the day off and we've had several storms make an appearance in the last week. It turns out the biggest storm came in last night and this morning. I woke up to see everything covered in half a foot of snow, with more coming down hard. The original plan was to drive out to Snowbird, another resort about 40 minutes away. But looking out the window, I started wondering if I should just stay in Park City. First of all, the mountain was report 12 inches of new snow at the peak! Secondly, Park City was essentially snowed in, so the resort would be more or less empty. And finally, being snowed in meant it would be an interesting trip out of Park City as well.

In the end I went against my better judgment and, with a couple of coworkers, drove out into the blizzard. Driving 20 miles per hour on the freeway with visibility of about 40 feet I again realized that I probably should have just stayed home. But the adventure was underway, it was too late to turn back (in my mind at least).

So we continued on. In the end, a 40 minute drive took over two hours. Even better, as we approached our exit, we were greeted by a friendly police officer informing us that road up Snowbird was closed for the foreseeable future. Fan-tast-ic! So it's now 11:00am on the best snow day of the year and we're looking at another two hour drive back to the mountains.

But wait! We quickly discover not only is the road to Snowbird closed, but the road back to Park City has since been shut down too! It's now 11:30am, there is snow everywhere, and we're stuck in Salt Lake City. So what do you do when you're stuck in Salt Lake City? There's really only one thing to do, hang out at Mormon HQ, Temple Square (in the snow!).

We didn't get back to Park City until 3:00pm; completely missing the best snow day of the year. :(

No comments: