Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Bird







I finally made it over to Snowbird today (after calling ahead to make sure the pass was open...). The west side of the Wasatch mountains (where Snowbird is) is surprisingly different compared to the east side. They're steeper, more jagged, and kind of remind me of the Alps (well would remind me of the Alps, if I had been snowboarding in the Alps before...). The resort is divided into three huge bowls and, like The Canyons, insists on trying to service each bowl with as few chairlifts as possible. Which means if you want to go anywhere than right underneath the chair you have to traverse over to it. Not exactly the snowboarder's dream resort it had been made out to be.

It doesn't have some pretty unique features, though. Most notably is the tram that takes you directly from the base to the peak. It was my first time on a tram and I'll admit that it was not the most relaxing trip. For starters, they really pack you in there (max capacity of about 130 people), so you get to become extremely familiar with the people in your immediate proximity. Secondly, you know how a chairlift rocks around a little bit? Well when an enormous people-mover/death-box starts swaying around, things get decidedly uncomfortable. And did I mention we're a few hundred feet in the air? All in all, I was happy that I managed the 8 minute ride without screaming once (out loud, at least).

A short hike from the top of the resort opens up some pretty impressive terrain. I certainly thought twice before dropping in to a couple of the snugger chutes. It wasn't that I didn't feel confident, it was just the realization that if something went wrong I would be falling for a long time. Fortunately I managed to keep my feet under me when it matter. Unfortunately, two days of sun and warm weather have turned 3+ feet of fresh powder into 3+ feet of the thickest, most viscous snow I've ever seen. My leg and foot muscles have never been so sore in my entire life. At one point I had to stop in the middle of the slope and take my boots off so my feet could stretch. It was a bit too intense.

I've been to three resorts in Utah now and I'm still pretty happy that I'm working at Park City Mountain Resort. But I'll give Snowbird a second chance, just as soon as that concrete they're passing off as snow subsides a bit (and when I work up the courage to tackle the tram again...).

No comments: