Monday, April 30, 2007

Road Trip: Zion National Park


(April 25th, 2007)







I should just go home now. I don't think it's possible for things to get any better so it's going to be all downhill from here. I just spent the day hiking in Zion National Park and the place is stunning. The park consists of two large canyons, Zion canyon being the most popular. Having never been here before I wasn't sure where to go so I meandered through the visitor center, looking for ideas. One hike immediately popped out: Angel's Landing. It is generously described as "Strenuous. Long drop-offs and narrow trail. Not for anyone fearful of heights. Ends at summit high above Zion Canyon. Last 0.5 mi (0.8 km) follows a steep, narrow ridge; chains have been added."

Yes, I have a semi-debilitating fear of heights, but the hike sounded awesome. So I made that priority #1. As the shuttle approached the Angel's Landing stop, the driver pointed out the peak that we'd be climbing up to. It almost looked unreal, I wasn't exactly sure how one would even get up there. But, with two bottles of water filled, I felt ready to go. The first 1.5 miles are strenuous, but doable. About 15 minutes into the hike I realized important item #3 that I didn't bring with me: a hat or any type of neck cover for the sun. It was close to 90 degrees and my head was already feeling it. It was a sign from the hiking gods though, as I almost immediately stumbled across a San Diego Padres baseball cap. With my head properly covered, I felt like nothing could stop me.

Until I got to the last 1/2 mile of the hike. At first I though this sign was kind of funny, until I got to see the cliffs myself. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures on my ascent up. I was too terrified to stop and get my camera out. I do have this shot as I'm about to head down. As you can clearly see it's less of a hike and more of a death wish. At it's narrowest the trail is about 3 feet across with 1200 foot drops off either side. I talked myself out of making the final ascent at least 3 times, but in a brief moment of insanity, decided that I'd at least start and see how it felt. It was terrifying.

Put into historical perspective: when I went bungy jumping I think I had about 5 minutes of time (before the jump) where I sat around pacing, heart pounding and knees shaking. Sky diving? Probably 10 minutes, as the plane ascended to 12,000 feet. This hike? A solid 35+ minutes of sheer terror. I've never felt anything like it before. In fact, I almost can't believe that this hike is even open. In a lawsuit happy country like America I can't believe the government doesn't feel afraid to keep this hike open.

But it was worth it. Well worth it. The view from the top of the hike is awesome. The sun was shining and I was happily hugging the rocks at the top of the trail, elated that I had made it the top, but concerned that I still had to climb back down. Fortunately the trip back down is much easier. I felt more confident and I think I may have even enjoyed it.

Nothing could be worth while after Angel's Landing, but I took a couple more short hikes to make sure I got the most out of my one day at Zion. I was still fired up as I got in my car and left the park. So fired up, in fact, that I made a wrong turn on UT-9 and ended up going 30 minutes in the wrong direction. My two hour jaunt over to Bryce Canyon National Park quickly turned into a 3 hour trek. And instead of arriving at 8:30 (just before dusk) I pulled in at 9:30 in the pitch black and got to set my tent up in the dark.

So here I sit, at Bryce Canyon National Park. I drove in the dark so I have no idea what I'll be treated to tomorrow. I was so excited to write about Angel's Landing that I'm siting in my tent, typing on my laptop. I'm half hardcore outdoorsman and half hardcore geek. And right now I'm 100% happy. Can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

No comments: