Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Arctic Chill

I just landed in London this afternoon, I'm currently spending a wonderfully quiet evening outside the Stansted airport (where I'll be departing for Iceland from tomorrow). I can't tell you how comfortable it is to be in an English speaking country. Passing through customs, I was able to stroll up to the counter with a casual "How's it going?" greeting. Of course, the English would rather choke on their own tongues before partaking in some casual pleasantries with a stranger, but it was still nice to know that a certain level of comprehension was available to both sides of the conversation.

Also, I still can't get over the hilarious ways that British English manages to stretch the language. Take the signs at the airport for example. There are signs for "pick up" where, presumably, one would go to get arriving passengers. So what does the sign for departures say? "Set down," of course. Sure, it's the opposite of "pick up" so it makes sense, but do you really say you're about to go "set someone down" at the airport? Funny people, these British.

Anyway, back to Iceland. It will be, I think, one of the highlights of my trip. Enormous natural hot springs, geysers, absolutely alien landscapes, probably a little snow, and — hopefully — a glimpse of aurora borealis! I've never gone hiking in a snowstorm before, this could be my first chance. Of course, having just spent the last two months in a wonderfully Mediterranean climate, I'm not sure how ready I am for sub-freezing temperatures and gale-force winds. But it all adds to the mystique and the adventure.

But right now I think I'm most excited about not having to travel for a few days. Tomorrow is the end of my eleven day travel marathon. I've been through four countries, on three planes, five trains, a couple ferries and spent countless hours in buses. It's been an unforgettable, but extremely busy week and a half. I can't wait to have just one day where I can sleep in, wake up, and not pack up my bags for trip somewhere. Spending two nights in a row in the same place will be blissfully relaxing. Well, at least until I step outside and am blown off my feet, at least. :) I have no idea what to expect in Iceland, which should make every day a surprise.

No comments: