Monday, April 27, 2009

A Weekend in San Francisco







I may be a bit biased, but I'm pretty sure Seattle is the greatest city in the world.

I've proudly uttered that line a few times. Well, more than a few times. And I stand by it, Seattle is an amazing place. However, my friend Gaurav made an astute point today at work. If I love Seattle so much, what the hell am I doing in San Francisco? Good question.

I guess the only thing greater than living in my favorite city is exploring new cities. San Francisco is a great city to explore. Although it isn't that much larger than Seattle, it's officially a big city. And what I love the most about big cities is that there's always something new and different going on. San Francisco's bizarre events provide a great excuse for someone new to the city (aka me) to get out and see what's going on. Which makes life fun.

In just the last couple of months I've seen nearly a hundred people go pantless around the subway, stumbled across a classic car convention, and enjoyed a designated car-free morning prompted random acts of dancing, an attempted game of roller soccer and an appearance by the ever popular octo-bike.

And these are just the events that I happened to bring my camera along to. The bottom line is that things are happening here. I love checking out all the quirky things that make San Francisco the city that it is. Which brings me back to this blog, my travel blog. I don't really consider myself a resident of San Francisco as much as I am a long-term visiter here. And I'm okay with that. Because life is more fun when you're traveling.

If you're sitting at home and you hear some news story talking about a "hunky Jesus" competition you shake your head and think "what a crazy city I live in." But if you're on vacation you think "alright that's crazy, I need to go check that out." (Hunky Jesus did indeed happen, on Easter Sunday. The winner apparently showed up with his own sheep to complement his cross, crown of thorns, and 6-pack abs.) That's the person I want to be in San Francisco. Well, I guess that's the person I want to be in life, but we'll start with this year in San Francisco and build on that. Hopefully rekindling this blog will continually force me to check out and (and join in) on all the wonderfully crazy things that happen in this city every week.

There's a lot to see, so there should be plenty to write about.

No comments: