Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Making Connections -- Well Almost

Due to a series of miscommunications, I haven't actually started teaching yet. I'm scheduled to start Thursday, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have been up on the mountain a couple of times, though. This morning I was cruising on "First Time," the bunny slope. I was watching some other beginner classes and working on a few tricks (the bunny slope is a great place to practice freestyle moves).

In line to get back on the lift I notice a family that's sort of freaking out about something. I ask if I can help out and it turns out they're not sure how to get their (very young) son on lift. I offer to help out, and we survive the lift without any incident. On the way up I mention that I'm a snowboard instructor and learn that the family has a couple of other sons that may need some snowboarding lessons in the upcoming week. She asks for my name so she can request me if they end up getting lessons.

So I'm feeling pretty good about myself. Helped a family get up the lift and made some possible connections. I cruise off the chair and go back to work on my freestyle moves (in this case, some nose and tail rolls). Of course, I immediately catch an edge and eat snow right in front of the family. Oh yes, I certainly left them with a great impression!

No comments: