Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Skiboot Shuffle







It's Saturday at 4:30pm. The sun has dropped behind the mountains and the temperature is 10 degrees and falling. For the first time in weeks clouds have moved in and it has started to snow. On stage Ozomatli is in full swing. Some guys are wearing ski goggles to keep the snow out of their eyes. Others are grabbing hand warmers between songs so they can keep their fingers warm enough to hold onto their instruments. For a minute I step back and think, "What in the world am I doing out here? It's snowing, windy, and I'm starting to lose feeling in my fingers." But I look around and it's hard not to be happy. People are jumping around and dancing everywhere; partly with the music, but also just to keep warm. But everyone is smiling, laughing, and enjoying the music. There's really nothing to do but join in. I can thaw my fingers out later.

Ozomatli put a great show. It was shortened a little due to the weather (they're from LA and not quite used to performing when it's 5 degrees out), but they still managed to rock the ski resort. The crowd was small, so I was able to get pretty close. And to help keep the kids warm they had a few join them on stage. Oh, and I got a very short video of them coming into the crowd and playing with everyone.

No comments: