Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Winter Sports







Whew, what a weekend. Park City is definitely not a big enough town to handle Sundance. But, as predicted, it's been empty on the mountain. I've taken the opportunity to attempt alpine and telemark skiing. I grew up skiing, but hadn't been on skis since I first strapped into a snowboard 10 years ago. I had no idea what to expect, but was expecting to spend a lot of time on the ground. However I discovered that skiing is way easier than I remembered it. It must be the new parabolic skis or something, but I was tearing up the mountain. Okay that might not be 100% true, but I got off the green runs in a hurry and spent the day on blue and blacks runs. I think skiing must be like riding a bike. Sadly my snowboard skills didn't carry over though. I tried a few 180s on skis and all I had to show for it was a face full of snow.

But the real reason I stepped into alpine skis was to get prepared for tele-Tuesday. Tele-Tuesday is a program where ski and snowboard instructors get half off on telemark rentals and a free lesson from 5:00 - 7:00pm. The picture above is me after about two seconds on the skis. Although I was standing then, I fell about five seconds later. Fortunately I got back up before they could get another picture. Tele-Tuesday was a lot of fun. I'm not convinced that telemark skis are the way to go, but it's worth trying out a few more times.

No comments: