Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Freddy Adu









In case you don't know him, let me introduce you to Freddy Adu, the future of American soccer. When I learned that the 17 year old phenom would be playing for the local MLS team (Real Salt Lake), I new I had to see at least one game. Tonight was my lucky night. Sadly it wasn't all that great. As you can see from the picture, soccer isn't exactly a big draw in Salt Lake. I think there were about 500 people in the stands (which makes me wonder why the city of Salt Lake agreed to pay $15 million dollars to build a new stadium for the team).

Also contributing to the small turnout was the incoming snowstorm. Now that the mountain has closed, Mother Nature has decided it's time to bring the snow. This is our second storm in a week and we're looking at 10 to 18 inches of snow overnight! And here I though I was going to be outside enjoying the sun this time of year. Oh well. It certainly made for an interesting night of spectating, especially since the game went into overtime. They actually had a double header tonight, with the Real Salt Lake reserve team hosting the Fiji national team. Sadly I was frozen solid and decided against hanging around for the second game. However it was a ton of fun to watch the Fiji team run through their warm up drills wearing some sort of parka jump suit. Needless to say, they didn't seem prepared for the 33 degree weather.

The other highlight from the evening was slightly reinjuring my dislocated finger. How did I pull this off? I came face to face (or shell to finger, I suppose) with a very tough shelled peanut. As I attempted to pry the nut into submission, I felt a little something give and now my finger is sore again. Awesome.

And before I go I should mention that Thursday is National High Five Day! Need a little high five'n inspiration? Glad you asked.



No comments: