Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Utah -- Embrace the Difference!








Who new that traveling within the US could be as fun and strange as traveling around the world? Well I guess everyone knows that Utah is a little different, so it's not really a surprise. But it's been fun discovering the little things that make Utah -- well Utah.

I already mentioned that I was asked for ID while purchasing a lighter. "Welcome to Utah!" the clerk exclaimed, perhaps a little too excitedly. She also mentioned that they give away matches for free. Asked her why, but she decided against attempting to explain the difference.

Before arriving in Utah, everyone had told me their horror stories of the strange liquor laws here. So I was surprised (and happy) to see beer at Albertson's. I was wary, though, as I had heard lots of strange tales. On closer inspection I was dismayed to see that all of the beer was capped at 4% alcohol by volume (aka extremely weak). I don't consider myself a heavy consumer, but if I'm going to pay for alcohol it'd be nice to actually get some alcohol with my purchase.

However, the locals seem to have a good sense of humor regarding Utah's better known stereo types. The beer isle is filled with local brews, most of which make some joke about something Utahian. My favorite so far is "Polygamy Porter" (see picture above), who proudly display their tag line: "Why have just one?"

Speaking of large influences in Utah, I was able to spend a day last week down in Salt Lake City. I didn't have much to do, so I started the day at Temple Square (Mormon HQ). The square was very nice and I would have loved to take some pictures to share... Unfortunately, it's impossible to make it more than 30 steps inside Temple Square without being accosted by a pack of Mormon missionaries. I actually took a guided tour of the square with two sisters, which was fun. I learned a lot about Mormon and Utah's history. And talking with the sisters wasn't too bad, they are two of the most content and relaxed people I've met (I wasn't completely at ease, though -- I made a few comments that I'm pretty sure offended them, which left me afraid to laugh or make jokes at anything).

At the end of the tour I was left in the middle of Temple Square with the charge to "enjoy the atmosphere." I thanked them again and turned to look check out the Tabernacle. I immediately ran into two more (very nice) sisters who wanted to know all about me, the tour I just took, and my religious history. They were very friendly and polite, making it difficult to end the conversation. Ten minutes later I finally bid them farewell and continue on my trek. And, of course, I meet some more friendly Mormons. And have another mind-bending ten minute conversation. I look around and realize it's impossible to go anywhere without this repeating, so I resign and head for the exit. Oh, but of course there's a group posted by the exit, waiting to say goodbye.

Fortunately the rest of the state doesn't seem as eager to discuss my religious history, but my guard has been raised. In New Zealand and Australia I learned that it's much easier to avoid politics than to attempt to agree with with the rest of the world and simultaneously defend the US. In Utah I'm learning it might be easier to avoid religion, too. :)

No comments: